Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A Day In The Life of An ADEC Teacher

    I often get asked what it is like to work for ADEC. Obviously, everyone's experience is completely different. I can only speak of what I am living, here is an example of what my day looks like.  Just to remind you that I teach grade 7 Science in a Cyle 2-3 school.  Cycle 2 is grade 6-9 and Cycle 3 is grade 10-12.

5:30 am-- alarm #1 goes off, I usually hit snooze.

5:45-- alarm #2 goes off, check Facebook, Instagram, email, whatsapp. 

6:00 am-- alarm #3 goes off (don't judge) I finally get out of bed. 

6:30 am--I leave my home. My school is an hour away, about 100 km. be prepared for this, not every school will be close by. Because my school is far I get a stipend. I get picked up in a mini van everyday, we are 6 in our van. The first pick up is at 6:15, I am at 6:30 and the next one is 6:40. We then head to school. 

7:40 am--get to school. Fingerprint in. 

7:45 am-- morning assembly.  Usually at morning assembly the students sing the national anthem, pray and then there are various announcements, this is all done in Arabic.

8 am--Period 1 begins

Periods are 45 minutes long and depending on the day I teach 3 or 4 periods.

There are 5 periods before the students have break which is essentially lunch, this is only 25 minutes.  In the afternoon there are another 2 classes.

Three out of five days we can leave at 2 pm.  On the other days we have to stay until 3 pm.

 

7 comments:

  1. How does the morning and afternoon transportation for the students work there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Most of out students are picked up by drivers, individuals that live near each other travel together. All other students take a schools bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. You and your blog are truly inspirational. Hope to meet you in the sandbox for the 15-16 school year! The nerves have definitely kicked in now that I've started packing up my life. ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious: What do you do during the announcements/while students are singing/praying? I'm assuming, (maybe I shouldn't), that you cannot speak/understand Arabic?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just stand there quietly, if there are announcements I will ask my students what is being said, they can usually tell me the gist of what is being said.

      Delete
  5. Just curious: What do you do during the announcements/while students are singing/praying? I'm assuming, (maybe I shouldn't), that you cannot speak/understand Arabic?!?

    ReplyDelete