Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Once Upon A Time...

     Every story has a beginning, this is where my adventure (hopfully) begins.  I got a letter a few weeks ago saying that there was no work for me for the 2013-2014 academic year.  This was not a surprise, since unfortunately the student numbers at my school had been on the decline for the last few years.
    I figured that this was the time in my life to do what I REALLY want to do.  I am 33, no kids, no home (yet).  I asked myself what do I love?  When was I at my happiest?  What do I really want to do?  I love to travel.  The idea of learning about places that you have never seen, both excites and intrigues me.  I was also my happiest when I lived and worked in Japan.  This is what gave me the idea to teach in the Middle East.
     I began to do some research, the money looked good and the experience was even better.  I began to investigate private schools in Dubai that were looking for Science Teachers.  Then I came across information about Abu Dhabi and their education reform.
     ADEC is the Abu Dhabi Education Council and they are aiming to improve the Abu Dhabi public school system in the next 10 years.  They are bringing in teachers from North America, UK, South Africa and Australia to teach in Abu Dhabi.  As soon as I read this I know that this is what I wanted to do.  I have spent hours reading blog on top of blog about teachers in the Middle East.  I have checked out every Middle East travel book from the library.  I sent in my application through Teachanywhere, a recruiter for ADEC,  and was elated to get an email back that they wanted to speak to me on the phone.
     Last week I spoke to my rep and she explained to me the application process and timeline, she asked me about myself and I explained to her my situation.  I then had to submit documents to see if I would be approved for an in person interview in Toronto (I live in Montreal about 6 hours away).  I sent copies of my degrees (B.Sc and B.Ed), copies of my teaching certificate from Ontario and Quebec, a copy of my CV, the photo page of my passport, my transcripts, a photo of myself, a police record check done in the last 12 months and the list of three references.
     I had everything that she asked for except the police record check, I had to trek downtown in the April snowstorm to get that (p.s. it cost 50$ sigh).  The man at the office informed me that it would take a week to receive a copy of the record check.
     My references informed me that they had been contacted and had to fill out a reference form about me asking my strengths and weaknesses, why I was being let go at work and why I should be hired to teach in Abu Dhabi.
     Monday, I received an email saying that I have been approved for an in person interview around May 7th, I am so excited.  I really hope that this works out.  The only thing that I really need to take care of now is that I have to get a new passport because the one I have expires in October my passport must be valid for 12 months for the application.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm currently in the same situation you were in a few years ago. I've always wanted to travel and see the world. This past summer I joined a group on Facebook called Black Educator's Rock and I saw a few posts of teachers teaching abroad. This piqued my interests and I begin following a few teachers on Facebook and Periscope. Following those teachers had me even more excited about the possibility of teaching overseas.

    Last month I filled out my application for Teach Away and had a phone interview for public and private schools in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Both interviews went well. I was unable to submit all of the paperwork in a timely manner for ADEC, so I missed my opportunity for this position. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an in-person interview in January for the private school position. I'm excited and nervous about the possibilities, and can hardly concentrate on anything else. Lol!

    Keep your fingers crossed for me! In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy reading each and every one of your post!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete